Short-term rentals have had destabilizing effects in communities by removing units from the housing market and creating quality of life issues for neighbors. To address these impacts, the City of Los Angeles adopted its Home Sharing Ordinance in 2018.
The Home Sharing Ordinance’s requirements for Home Sharing include:
- That the property be your primary residence
- That the property have no code violations
- That your property is not subject to the Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO)
The Home Sharing Ordinance requires all eligible hosts:
- To register via the online portal
- If approved, include a valid registration number in the rental listing
The City’s Home Sharing Ordinance does not permit RSO properties to be eligible for Home Sharing permits. Any RSO unit being used for short-term rental activities should be reported immediately. You can check if a property is subject to the RSO HERE.
To report issues with permitted and suspected unpermitted home sharing operations alike, please utilize the following options:
- 24/7 Home Sharing Hotline (213) 267-7788: please note that these calls will not be returned but are added to the property’s record. If it is a permitted HSO operation, the complaints will be consulted upon applying for renewal. If it is unpermitted, it will be shared with LADBS, LAHD and LAPD for enforcement.
- Email email@example.com
If you have concerns about a potential illegal home sharing operation in CD4, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the Home Sharing Ordinance, click HERE.